St. Xavier`s High school is an English Medium School founded in 1957, at the express and pressing request of the people of Kolhapur. The school is recognized by the Government of Maharashtra and prepares pupils for the Secondary School Certificate Examination. It is owned by the Poona Catholic Educational Association (PCEA) and managed by the Poona Jesuit School`s Society. (PJSS)
The Society of Jesus, to which the Jesuit Fathers and Brothers belong, is a Christian Religious Order founded by St. lgnatius of Loyola in 1540. Active in the field of education throughout the world since its origin, the Society conducts in India nearly 500 schools, 38 Universities and Colleges, 14 Technical Institutes and 5 Business Administration Institutes in which thousands of young people, belonging to every social class, community and Linguistic group are being educated through the medium of both English and the regional languages. Nearly 8500 teachers are engaged in the teaching activity and the society caters to about 2, 75,000 students.
- Jesuit education is inspired by a vision of man drawn from the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and based on the principles of the character formation elaborated by St. lgnatius of Loyola.
- The Jesuits engaged in education work throughout the world for the last 400 years, re-affirm their conviction that the formation of youth through their educational institutions continues to be one of the foremost services they can render to their people.
- They believe that an essential need of our country is for a community of persons with deep faith, sound knowledge, intellectual and emotional maturity and moral integrity, persons able and willing to render generous service to their fellowmen in building up a truly human society. It is therefore to the formation of such community of persons that they commit their educational institution.
- The education they impart includes both physical, intellectual and emotional development as well as acquisition of useful skills in all of which they aim at excellence.
- Being at the service of the whole country, St. Xavier`s accepts students from every caste, creed and community and strives to educate them in the high ideals of humanism and unselfish service of their fellowmen and women.
Hence, the purpose of this school is not only to impart instructions but also to educate the whole person.
- to help the students to become mature, spiritually oriented persons of character free from egoism and self-seeking and from all attempts to exploit one`s fellowmen and women;
- To encourage them continually to strive for excellence in every field, without however neglecting the welfare and the needs of their fellowmen and women;
- To value and judiciously use of their freedom.
- To be clear and firm on principles and courageous in action;
- To become agents of needed social change.
ST. XAVIER’S D. ED. COLLEGE, KOLHAPUR
St. Xavier’s D. Ed College is a boon to Kolhapur City. It was a significant step taken by the Poona Jesuits School Society to turn the young generation towards the teaching profession. This step was taken by seeing the dearth in the schools due to lack of trained teachers.
After several hardships and the continuous efforts of Fr. Ratnakar Dushing s. j. and others, the milestone of D. Ed College was set up in the year 2010 after receiving recognition from N.C.T.E. Bhopal and M.S.C.E.R.T. under the management of Poona Jesuits School Society.
The vision in starting the college was to provide a Diploma in Teachers training through the English medium to students from every caste creed and community with a special preference to the Catholic community.
- To form value oriented and global teachers for the 21st century.
- To cater to the needs of society and form efficient teachers.
- To make the student-teacher understand the psychological, emotional and the intellectual needs of school children.
- To acquaint the student-teacher with the latest technologies and effective methods used in education.
- To make them unbiased and resourceful evaluators.
- To organize and develop the innate potentials of the students through various extra co-curricular activities.
- To encourage leadership qualities and thereby become agents of social change in society.